I designed a heap of hats a few years ago for my wonderful teaching assistants without whom my classroom would definitely not have run so smoothly and this was one of them!!
Two patterns in one here and a fabulously simple introduction to colourwork in the round!
Pattern for gauge: Stocking Stitch
11 stitches to 14 rows in 2 inches or 5 cms
You Will Need
- 4mm circular needle or size to get gauge
- 4mm double pointed needles or size to get gauge
- 5mm circular needle or smaller size than your main needle
- 50 grams (108 yards/100m) of DK yarn in main colour, for the blue hats I used Pure Welsh DK Llanwennog/Alpaca blend (approximately 219 yards in 100g), and maximum of 25g, or approximately 54 yards/ 50m) in each of your contrasting colours
- Stitch marker
- Darning Needle
The hat is a medium to large adult size hat, intended to be long enough to cover the ears well!
Hat height is approximately 9/ 9.5 inches (22/24cms) crown to brim.
Circumference is approximately 21/22 inches (53-55cms) unstretched, but has a good amount of stretch and grip thanks to the ribbing around the brim.
- K = Knit
- P = Purl
- K2tog = Knit 2 stitches together
- MC = Main colour
- CC = Contrasting colour
- Sts = stitches