So the past couple of sunny days we have been out collecting elderflowers!! We are lucky here and have both pink and white!!
So our cordial recipe as promised to a few is!
- 2.5 kilos of sugar
- 2 unwaxed lemons
- 20+ fresh elderflower heads
- 85g citric acid (available in all pharmacies)
- Pick elderflower heads on a sunny day
- Remove flowers from stalks and slice lemons put these in a large pan/food grade bucket or jug
- Boil three pints of water and pour over the flowers and lemons basically making a sort of tea and leave it to steep overnight
- Remove the big bits and discard,
- Add the citric acid and sugar stir until all dissolved
- Bottle (I use a large nylon sieve, a Muslin cloth and a funnel!)
- Store in the fridge for up to six weeks or freeze ensuring you leave head space in the bottles!! Or mums and dads freeze it into ice cubes to pop into a cheeky g and t!!